[Tango-L] Pugliese, sound

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Mon Nov 21 15:54:07 EST 2011

Trini, I'm sure pretty much everybody has pondered the points you raise.
So many issues for the dj around Pugliese's recordings.

His 1950's-onward recordings are one thing and a different topic from the
40's recordings - which Must be heard and played for dancing.

It is true that the intensity of his music can - (CAN) - make one wonder
if 4 is too many. If, say, there aren't a lot of people on the floor and
not a lot of experienced dancers. Mostly if the sound quality of your
recordings is not great (but find ways to play them, anyway. Yes - 3 here
works).

There have been times in the past when I have gone with 3.

BUT

It all changes if your tracks are evenly of decent quality.

With evenness of sound and thought-out choices in the flow, the 40's
Pugliese music makes all the above reservations fly out the window. Newbie
or Porteno, a tango dancer is transported. Now, 3 ain't enough (if after
say 10:15).

A spell is cast and it is not to be messed with.

Tension can be relieved without breaking the spell via the use of an
instrumental.

And I think some dj's underestimate the love people have for Pugliese's
vocal recordings of the 40's. The songs deeply touch people.

The feeling permeating a room under the Pugliese spell is way too
beautiful to attempt to describe.

The sound/rhythm is so unique, when it comes on it is like hitting
"refresh" and taking your dancers to a whole new place in the evening. So
authentic the lover of tango may feel impulses to start laughing and
crying. While almost wanting to kiss you for putting it on in this moment.

Even if on a particular night I have been playing "3's," Osvaldo in the
40's gets 4. While I humbly bow and thank the gods for the privilege of
hearing such heavenly music.

!

2 Canadian cents.