[Tango-L] The Degradation of Tango (was Al Reves)

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sun May 29 14:50:08 EDT 2011

I'n Mario's original post "Tango 'Al Reves'" he lamented

>  soon the dance will be soooo twisted that we will have to look for alternative music that is likewise twisted to go along with it

It seems to me that in this post  Mario was really lamenting the
degradation of true tango in these modern times. This topic of the
demise of tango is very common today ("you are one of those tango
nuevo punks who have been sabotaging this milonga lately.."
http://youtu.be/Zsy4xLSGXdc )

However, this nostalgia for the endangered "Tango de Verdad" is at
least as old as the song "Adios Arrabal" written in 1930
http://www.todotango.com/spanish/las_obras/Tema.aspx?id=iUPPAaxql7Y=

"El baile Rodríguez Peña…
el Mocho y el Cachafaz…
de la milonga porteña,
que nunca más volvera."

This song is lamenting that "The Milonga of Buenos Aires will never
again return."....So Lenzi believed that True Tango ended in 1930.

The next time you hear the curmudgeons complaining about today's tango
being "twisted" or un authentic, or that it will die when the old
milongueros finally pass, you are partaking in a very old tango
tradition.

Me? Now that Cachirulo has moved, on Saturdays it is much easier for
me to dance in Hector's uber traditional milonga early, then walk to
that crazy nuevo "La Viruta" later...

"Lust for the future, but treasure the past"