[Tango-L] Cadencia vs rock step

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 13:44:11 EDT 2011

I, too, like investigating this word 'cadencia'
I teach language (Ingles) and when recently working with a professional dancing/teaching couple, I advised them to keep the Spanish terminology for 'cadencia' and for many of their other references as well.
For me, the meaning is definately implied in these quotes:
 - "(f)  3. In dancing, the correspondence of the motion of the body with the music. Also;(..On one previous visit to Buenos Aires, when I asked one of my  Argentine partners to dance with cadencia with me, he put in more body motion, I experienced more rhythmical awareness..")
 I would only add in the first sentence "the motion of the WHOLE body with the music"  I believe that it is only a coincidence that the rock step is often demonstrated relating to cadencia...why? Because it provides momentum in the dance.    THE big thing to get is that it is not a dead body going thru recently learned steps... that the WHOLE body is interpreting the music.... It's very rare that I ever see that type of disconnect of N.Amer. dancers in the dance of Argentines...like language, the culture is a BIG influence in communication during the dance.  And the Arg. has seen and been in a lot of milongas in Argentina.