[Tango-L] NYC meh

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Mar 14 18:34:36 EDT 2011

On : Sun, 13 Mar 2011 Sharon Pedersen wrote:
> I visited New York this weekend.
> Dancesport Milonga, 1.5 hours, 3 tandas.
> Mariella Franganillo's Practica, 2.5 hours, 3 tandas.
> All-Night Milonga, 2 hours, 1 tanda.
>
> What is anyone else's experience on visiting large cities?

It is my experience, that when communities gets larger, they segregate
into small groups of friends. People generally dance within their own
group.

Additionally: to quote tangocynic from his (or her) hilarious video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ2u-xLu-QI

"Men will only dance with you for 3 reasons:
either because you are good looking
or because you are young
or if you can actually dance"

#1 and #2 are pretty easy for those who qualify, but #3 requires you
to actually get out on the floor so people can tell if you can dance,
and that is a problem if you go to the milonga alone. #3 is also a
problem if you don't measure up to the local standards, which are
pretty high in NYC (not intended as and insult, as I don't know
you....It is just a reality check)

Men have similar issues when visiting places with large communities,
and for me, Buenos Aires was by far the biggest example of this, I
went alone, and I really didn't start dancing much till after I had
been there a month or so and I found a group of friends that I could
dance with , which got me dances outside of my group.

And yes, I don't qualify for #1 or #2 :-)