[Tango-L] Why is it so hard to walk?

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 20:55:04 EDT 2011

On 17/06/11 08:18, Steve Littler wrote:
> Some adults have little or no cross-body-motion when they walk, even
> just walking on the street. One friend of mine who is a professor of
> dance at the University remarked that some of our poorer dancers seemed
> to have missing stages of development in their walk. As if they never
> crawled properly before learning to walk.
In fact, there is a significant percentage of babies that naturally
crawl in a parallel system rather than the more common (it is a mistake
to call it "properly") cross system. Learning cross-body motion is a
significant challenge for these people after they become adults, and
teachers should recognise the difficulty.

Myk,
in Canberra