[Tango-L] Why is it so hard to walk?

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Thu Jun 16 18:18:28 EDT 2011

Yes, I'd agree with that. Elegant walking IS hard, especially in the
beginning - until it finally becomes easy. After my first year of Tango
I realized I still couldn't walk well and then took many privates and
workshops to improve my walk. Regular group classes are not enough. And
you have to practice a lot at home and you have to go to practica with a
partner and just walk for many kilometers.

Some adults have little or no cross-body-motion when they walk, even
just walking on the street. One friend of mine who is a professor of
dance at the University remarked that some of our poorer dancers seemed
to have missing stages of development in their walk. As if they never
crawled properly before learning to walk.

El Stevito de Gainesvile