[Tango-L] Interesting Tango Listing

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 15:39:08 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI
<arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 13/6/11, Huck Kennedy <tempehuck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>           Let's hope this sorry
>> new trend gets nipped in the bud, pronto.
>
> I remember, way back in 1995[?] we had a visiting teacher here in London [UK] - Maria Pantuso - who did just that. She asked us to warm up for a few tangos and watched us for a good 15 minutes, talking to our teacher occasionally. We were wondering what was going on at the time. She eventually explained that as she did not know us she needed to find out where we were at. The ensuing class was shit hot & to the point [giros]. Nothing new about that then, it's just being sensible.

         Yet another reader straying from the premise.   We aren't
talking about a visiting teacher coming in to teach an ongoing class
of some local teacher in which all the students are at relatively the
same place in tango space and time--we're talking about group classes
at a tango festival where students come from different communities all
over the country with different styles, and different strengths and
weaknesses.

> if you are spending big bucks to fly to another city, rent a hotel room, and pay festival fees, do you really want to come back moving like a right jerk because you insisted on learning moves you haven't yet got the technique for?

          You might consider the possibility that not everyone in the
tango festival-going community is a blithering moron completely
lacking in self-awareness.   Just a suggestion.

Huck