[Tango-L] Interesting Tango Listing

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Tue Jun 14 15:03:13 EDT 2011

While it is tempting to think one's own views are the only ones which
matter or should be countenanced, this is rather a trap.

After-all, our views surely change as we grow in
understanding/perception/experience.

How we think "today" might not be how we think "tomorrow" when time has
gone by and we have grown.

Is it so hard to allow that a really fine teacher might wish to offer what
it is obvious after a look at the students to see what they would most
benefit from learning "today?"

I'm not talking about lazy or disorganized teachers.

Just teachers who care and see right away how to help.

When I travel to a new city, it would to me almost be lazy to send ahead a
schedule of what I would teach.

I would much rather give value by seeing what is needed - not what I might
use simply to satisfy the wants of people who don't know enough yet to
decide all that.

If a local organizer should demand a prescribed schedule, I could give it
to make them feel better.

But that doesn't mean I would lower my standards by doing exactly that if
I saw that that schedule would be hogwash when I saw in person how the
paying customers actually danced.

Students ahead of time demanding of teachers explicitly what is to be
taught is kind of a laughable concept, no? If the teacher is really good.