[Tango-L] The spread of tango

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Jun 14 06:06:17 EDT 2011

On 12/06/2011 20:55, Brick Robbins wrote:
>> From: Alexis Cousein<al at sgi.com>
>> Look at film archives, and tell me whether what you see there
>> is ballroom tango.
>
> One thing to keep in mind, is that "ballroom tango" changed over the
> years too. The dance that is called "The Tango" in ballroom events,
> didn't really take it's current form until after World War two.

I must confess I know little about that evolution, but IIRC,
the obsession with standardisation, the aversion for
improvisation and the different embrace appear to me to be
quite old (and the source quoted in this thread also sees
conformance to foreign syllabuses as a Good Thing, which
might be seen to confirm it).

But I'd be glad to be proven to have prejudices.