[Tango-L] The spread of tango

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 20:34:12 EDT 2011

So, I was thinking that after the initial introduction in Europe, Argentine tango lost its appeal after WWII and may have died out in most countries (and changed to something else in Finland).  Basically, mirroring the trend in Argentina.  It didn't pick up again until Tango Argentino played in France.  Is this incorrect?

Romero pointed out that Danel & Maria had milongas in NYC for years, apparently since the 1960's, according to their website.  I would guess that these milongas would have been more like ethnic gatherings and not the commercial enterprises we have today.  A place where people could speak Spanish freely and support a common nationality.

I'm just guessing here.  Does anyone know anything differently?

Trini de Pittsburgh