[Tango-L] The spread of tango

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:04:27 EDT 2011

I'm curious to know from those in European and Asian countries, who or what specially popularized tango in your country.?..... but it was Daniel Trenner who really made it take off in the U.S,  It seems that Japan has a longer history of tango than the U.S.? If you don't live in the U.S, who planted and watered the seeds in your country?

Trini de Pittsburgh

Nice thought Trini,
Re Brisbane (Australia) - We (My wife and I) were reminiscing just this week, that we took our first "real" Tango lesson with Daniel Trenner, when passing through Boston, a long time ago.  We did not see the big stage shows here.  The growth seems to have emerged around the time of the movie "The Tango Lesson" and some popular performers, including Julio Iglesias & Yo-Yo Ma came out with CD's, popularising the music, and consciousness, of Tango.  A number of individuals and larger Latin dance schools picked up on it and started teaching.  It seems to have been a nation-wide phenomenon around the same time.  The Tango based charity Milonga Para Los Niños, started in Brisbane and now in its 10th year, has also helped to bring Tango communities together in a common cause.  www.paralosninos.net
Best,
John