[Tango-L] Building the Myth

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Tue Jun 7 18:28:39 EDT 2011

Cherie <macfroggy at aol.com> wrote

>I used to dance with Pupy at milongas and he danced milonguero style. But
this video is an exhibition, and he put all kinds of non-milonguero moves
into his performance: open embrace, lapices, ganchos, lots of walkward
walking, etc., that he would never do in a milonga.<

Cheri,

I would guess that any milonga in which you would be dancing would be a
crowded space with a traditional flavor, so I think that any porteno would
adjust his movement to match the space. This is something I often find
lacking in a lot of tangueros in North America, but is getting much better
among the leaders in the "festival" community, at least, who often dance on
really crowded floors.

That being said, I have seen some of the Old Milongueros dancing in the
"after" at La Viruta do open movements that would probably get them kicked
out of Cachirulo if they were ever imprudent enough to elicit Hector's
wrath, which of course they would never do. So if you define "a milonga" as
the sort of place where you prefer to dance, you are certainly right: "that
he would never do in a milonga."  ;-)