[Tango-L] Tango Festivals

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 18:19:50 EDT 2011

--- On Fri, 7/29/11, Tom Stermitz <stermitz at tango.org> wrote:

The term festival might be a marketing angle or wishful thinking on
the part of the organizer. Two pairs of teachers without a cast of
nationally-known DJs is more like a "workshop weekend", even if you
have 20 out-of-town visitors. Another example, Tango Colorado puts on
a special outreach weekend with 15 or 20 Denver teachers and Saturday
milonga. Is that a festival?

I think, Tom, that such an event could be called a festival, but it's just a city-wide festival.  That's sounds like a great way to get people in your area interested, so to them it would be a festival.

For several years, one of our organizers ran a festival that incorporated art, music, dance, and poetry.  It included live music and an instructor from NY.  It was great fun for the locals and nearby cities.  We called it a regional festival.  I don't think I would have submitted it to be included in Shaun's list, though.

Trini de Pittsburgh