[Tango-L] why music

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Mon Jul 11 13:23:57 EDT 2011

Thanks Chris, you make interesting points.

Regarding Spanish, I only started having people to speak to once I
reached Mexico, about 4 months after I started on my Spanish-learning
journey.
Once there, my tango lessons (that is where I started) were in Spanish,
and I had Mexican friends, who spoke Spanish and English. But I fully
realized that my approach was quite different than most and was adapted
to my particular way of learning. Ultimately, there is more than on path
to any objective.

Concerning tango, I do not believe there was an easy path, even not long
ago. Most people in Bs.As. do not dance tango, and there are many poor
dancers (the majority), but that still leaves many good dancers :-)
People in Bs.As. are exposed to tango culture and music their entire
lives, so that even if they start dancing when they are 20 or 30, they
already know the music, and knowing the music took them several years (I
do not call that a shortcut). I started when I was 46, and had to learn
the music from zero. So over 4-5 years, I had to listen to music the
same number of hours as the person from Bs.As. listened over 10-20
years. (assuming they start dancing late in life). I maintain there are
no shortcuts (if counted in terms of number of hours dedicated to tango
as opposed to number of days). It is said that it takes 10,000 hours to
become good at anything, whether painting, music, tango or something else.

We had a teacher in Tallahassee (where I live) who came every several
months to give workshops. We learned by practicing with each other. We
changed our style several times as we increased our knowledge. Some of
us went to workshops in other cities. Eventually, 6 years ago, I met
Mimi Santapa in France, liked what I saw, and stuck with her. I firmly
believe that once one meets a teacher whose dancing one respects, that
staying and studying with that teacher (and not a collection of
teachers) is most beneficial. At least for me.

    Just one man's opinion :)

         Gordon

--
Gordon Erlebacher