[Tango-L] learning, and music

Siamak Tazari siamak.tazari at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:29:50 EDT 2011

Hi,

as a rather new student of tango (1,5 years), I'd like to say that I
do like to have music in class and find it generally helpful and
effective - and I felt that way starting from day 1. I am one of those
people for whom the love of the music is a major drive to dance tango.
That said, the most common way I experience this in class is a mixture
of both: talking and being shown the figure, only one part at a time
and slowly, without music for a couple of minutes; depending on the
complexity or novelty of the figure for the students, do it "dry" a
couple of times, even as far as doing some of the leaders and
followers steps separately, especially in beginning and advanced
beginning levels; but then have the music play for one or two songs
and try it with the music while the teachers go around and fix
problems. This way, we actually get to dance to maybe 8-10 songs per
class. When the music is playing, I like to take Martin's approach and
actually dance to the music and throw in the figure or parts thereof
when appropriate. I'm constantly told that my dancing is very musical
- even if I'm still doing rather basic steps.

On the other hand, when a figure seems too hard for me, well, for one
thing, I really shouldn't be in that class, but the music does get a
bit distracting. When I haven't understood the figure *at all*,
there's no point in trying it to the music. But even here, the mixed
approach helps, especially when the teacher comes around and helps me.

On another level, I think a class with no music just wouldn't be
emotionally satisfying.

--Siamak