[Tango-L] why music

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 14:36:52 EDT 2011

Given the relatively few people that I hear say "I really love this music" or ask me the name of a classic tango song (compared to the number who ask me about an alternative piece), I think saying that most dancers dance because of their love in the music may be a stretch.  I think most get used to the music and many do fall in love with the music.  But I don't hear too many humming along or filling in the blanks when there's a technical blip.  The average dancer probably can't even hum a few bars of a tango.

I understand what Michael means, though.  In many cases, I've turned off the music when I'm teaching so that students can focus on a a technique or movement.  Sometimes the music can drive someone to move without any control and acts as a distraction.  When I see them getting more comfortable, I'll put the music on and let them play.

Not everyone is capable of ignoring the music when they need to so that they can focus on something.  There are times when music is helpful to understand a movement.  For example, milonga con traspie works better for some milongas than others.  But sometimes the opposite is true, too.

Trini de Pittsburgh

 Perhaps some people are