[Tango-L] why music

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Thu Jul 7 12:50:42 EDT 2011

I understand your position, Michael, but I respectfully disagree with
your conclusion.  The music helps one understand the figure. The human
brain is a marvelous mechanism that has the evolved the ability to use
multiple references to anchor a memory, including the visual details of
where the event is experienced, the emotional details of how you felt
and with whom you were dancing or practicing, and what music is playing
to anchor the figure.  They all tie together.   Perhaps some people are
stronger in visual retention, others in aural retention, but most people
dance because of their joy in the music, so this helps dancer's anchor a
memory of a figure.  Personally, at the point of the class when Chicho
or Gustavo anchor the tempo of a figure in a specific phrase of music,
and it expresses the mood of the piece, it becomes so much clearer, and
i remember it so much better.  So I believe the converse, if you cant
execute it with the help of a music phrase to anchor it,  you certainly
cant execute it abstractly.