[Tango-L] Why Argentine tango looks more like French ballet each year.

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:57:36 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzgKZ0MWRnE&feature=related
>
> I have come to accept that Argentine Tango will cease to exist and
> what had been before will change and change until it is hardly
> recognizable.

         I'm going to evade talking about the dancing, but instead
bring up the clothing.   Am I the only one fed up with the current
trendy notion that it is somehow "cool" for a man to dance tango with
an unbuttoned jacket?

         I think it looks awful.   The sloppiness of the open jacket
wildly flapping around obscures and ruins the sharp, elegant, and
disciplined lines of the body that compose one of the nicest and most
beautiful features of tango.

         An open jacket looks great when you're relaxing at a cocktail
party sipping a martini, and in that setting, a closed jacket would
almost seem ridiculous.  But dancing tango, I believe the opposite is
true.

Huck