[Tango-L] Getting tango lessons to the needy

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Fri Jul 1 23:32:51 EDT 2011

It would be even better if labels were eliminated COMPLETELY. I read one festival where intermediate was defined as dancing for < 3 years and advanced was defined as dancing for >3 years. Are labels used to describe milongas? Are milongas advertised as advanced, intermediate, or beginner? Beginners are the only dancers who tell their skill level without being asked.

I remember reading on the list a long time ago about a workshop given by Fabian Salas and (I think) Carolina Rivera. (I hope I got that right.) The lister wrote the class was advertised as advanced but it was filled with non advanced dancers. Fabian and Carolina didn't know how to handle the disparity in skill level. Advanced dancers were upset they weren't going to get advanced material and non advanced were upset that the workshop was going to be beyond their skill level.

My teacher taught group lessons for two groups: beginners and experienced. After he evaluated the "experienced," he decided what to teach them, even sending some of them back to beginners.

Michael
Going home to New York after 35+ years

  Lois Donnay <donnay at donnay.net> wrote:

  Despite reciting the mantra "Beginners go to Int., Int. go to advanced, Advanced go to beginners" they just can't bring themselves to show up at a
  beginner class. There they are at advanced workshops, learning back sacadas and single axis turns.

  What can teachers do for these people?

  Trini wrote:

  First thing they can do is quit using words like "advanced" to actually refer to non-advanced classes. I hear people all the time say they are taking an advanced class when I know perfectly well the class level is actually an intermediate level material.

  Second thing is to put requirements up to get into an advanced workshop. I've done that for years without a problem. If teachers do not hold to certain standards, then others can't be blamed for not knowing how poorly they do.

  Trini de Pittsburgh