[Tango-L] Attracting more male dancers

Romero Migdalia migrom at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jan 30 11:40:56 EST 2011

The emphasis of many respondents to this thread seems to be on de-
emphasizing steps and emphasizing the" fundamentals of posture, walk,
and balance".  I agree totally. However, the focus on musicality - on
knowing and listening intently to the music, of responding to the
sentiment of the lyrics, of moving with inspiration to the melody or
the rhythm, or of even dancing to an instrument - seems to have been
lost in the discussion.  It is what most moves me as a woman who has
traveled often to Buenos Aires and who lived there for a year,
talking to, and dancing with, "old milongueros".  Their connection to
the music is palpable.  It can be seen on their faces as they dance.
After a while I too noticed that some tangos, lyrics, and/or
arrangements moved me more than others.  And when I was moved my
dancing improved.  It may also be why milongueros generally do not
dance to everything that is played, but rather dance when the music
talks to them.  While many love Pugliese, as an example, not all
milongueros enjoy dancing to his music.  My suggestion then to men is
to listen intently and allow yourself to be moved by the music rather
than by the routines you learn in class.  While routines may stifle
creativity, music can inspire it.

Migdalia Romero,
Author: Tango Lover's Guide to Buenos Aires
Website: www.tangoloversguide.com