[Tango-L] regional varieties of tango, was: Melina's two cents

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 16:31:35 EST 2011

--- On Tue, 1/25/11, Anton Stanley <anton at alidas.com.au> wrote:

> Personally, I don't prefer internationalisation of tango.
> Where every variation or deviation is legitimate.
> In the future we might get accustomed to US Tango,
> British Tango, Canadian Tango, Turkish Tango, Iranian Tango,
> Russian Tango, Mexican Tango etc. Each maybe different;
> each legitimate tango.

I dunno, I think that would be kind of cool.

Traveling these days isn't as much fun as it was
in the old days. Nowadays everything is homogenized.
I would like it if I could go to another city and
have a distinctly different tango experience
(as well as distinct food, distinct language, etc).
I could see a different way of looking at tango
by visiting another city.

That's really the benefit of travel -- that you
see that yours is not the only way of looking at
things. Travel teaches you that it's possible to
live with a different set of assumptions; that
takes the edge off a person.

At this point there are some regional differences
but communities derived from the post-1982
tango renaissance are too young to have really
developed their own character. I'm looking forward
to different communities really developing their
own flavor.