[Tango-L] Melina's two cents

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Mon Jan 24 21:05:11 EST 2011

I don't know how many are proud to have danced "with the Argentineans", but
I for one find dancing tango in Buenos Aires very inspirational. Much in the
manner that Catholics regard the Vatican, Muslims Mecca, the English Lords
cricket ground, in the USA say the Office of the President, etc, etc. Each
represents an ideal to which we try to cling. I'm sure there are many more
good people outside the Vatican than within. Many more religious Muslims
outside Mecca than within. Many more great cricketers reside great distances
from Lords than near it. There are more great men living outside the White
House than within. But each acts as an anchor for ideals.
It's not about how well they dance tango in Buenos Aires it's about the
institution of tango. Severing ties with that institution gave us Ballroom
Tango. Finish Tango. Why on this list do we not regard these deviations as
true tango? Maybe in the light of Melinda's comments, they should be, and
simply accepted as internationally influenced tango. Personally, I don't
prefer internationalisation of tango. Where every variation or deviation is
legitimate. In the future we might get accustomed to US Tango, British
Tango, Canadian Tango, Turkish Tango, Iranian Tango, Russian Tango, Mexican
Tango etc. Each maybe different; each legitimate tango. So it's not about
idolising Argentinean dancers, but simply respect for the institution.
Unfortunately many don't have this respect.

My opinion.

Anton