[Tango-L] Social vs Anti-Social Tango. Was Navigation

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 10:34:28 EST 2011

Years ago I asked my Argentine tango teachers  how they felt about social
dancing. They said it was very important not to show  off by doing too much
or they might offend. On the other hand if they danced too  reserved
onlookers might think they were uninteresting and wouldn’t want to take  lessons
from them. I’ve seen many top quality teachers both in the US and  Argentina
sit all night at milongas and never get up and dance. Just last night  one of
the best joined us and never danced. He said after teaching all day he
enjoys sitting and watching everyone having fun. I’ve also noticed that in BA a
lot of the top instructors would wait until most of the crowd has gone home
 before dancing.
The sad truth is a lot of good teachers along with the  wannabe second rate
so called teachers are so ego driven they can’t resist  showing off and are
too stupid to realize they upset the  floor.
David

In a message dated 1/22/2011 2:01:10 A.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
tango at kidojo.it writes:
Hi,

Anton  wrote
>I have found it interesting, the apparent difference in attitude  at
> milongas, between celebrity tango dancers in Buenos Aires and  celebrity
> tango dancers in the US and other parts of the world.
>  My observations suggest that in Buenos Aires they blend in with other
>  social
> dancers, whereas in other countries, they try to stand out. Maybe  in BA
> they
> don't like show-offs.

my experience is that  the celebrity tango dancers in Buenos Aires ha
started
in the social  environment (the first exhibitions they did in milongas like
sunderland,  maipu ecc.
Their first tecnique was who to dance the social dance (milonguero  apilado
style), only later they started to dance for the  stage.

Patricia Muller

Tango-L mailing  list
Tango-L at mit.edu