[Tango-L] Re] The woman turns around the man? was: Navigation

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Fri Jan 14 07:44:05 EST 2011

Michael,

I will not get into a protracted discussion, but will only say the following:

>From a literal point of view, of course the statement is not totally correct. But tango
is a difficult dance, and it was the the first lesson, and the statement was a broad
brush, and only stated once. During teaching of concepts, technique, sequences,
of course, we moved around the room, and yet, the woman, for the most part, turned
around the man to some degree or other. I never said the direction was constant. In
several teaching approaches, one finds out that the radius of the turn can vary. One
can also view the cross or parallel foot basic as a turn of large radius, which is very
interesting concept. Only those people who dance completely apilado dance in a
completely straight line, and that is not seen very often among the older crowed in
Bs.As. The dance is mostly circular.

Tango has many facets to them, and it is all of them together that makes the dance what
it is.  Any given facet, taken in isolation leads to exageration and caricature. But when
teaching, it is not possible to handle all facets at once. And therein lies the difficulty.

        Gordon