[Tango-L] Re] The woman turns around the man? was: Navigation

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Fri Jan 14 06:13:41 EST 2011

Gordon:
I'm not convinced that Alberto had it exactly right. If the dance is circular, that means there's no reason to move around the floor. Ballroom smooth dances (Waltz, Foxtrot, International and American Tango, Quickstep) move around the floor. They have circular figures but you still move around the floor in a line of dance. Most Latin dances stay in one place so there is no line of dance. There is a little floor progression in Samba and Meringue, though not as much as the smooth dances.

The description you wrote sounds like a molinete.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines

  --- On Thu, 1/13/11, Gordon Erlebacher <gerlebacher at fsu.edu> wrote:

   In tango: the woman turns around the man, and the mean turns around the floor. The implication clearly was that the dance was circular and not linear.