[Tango-L] Navigation: Now ocho cortado

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Jan 13 15:29:21 EST 2011

Hello Trini:

The problem with not being able to execute the ocho cortado is FRAME. The man steps sideways to his right for a rock step, and then rotates his shoulders to the left with a slight lift, closing his feet. The woman should step side left but not commit her weight to the left foot because it's a rock step. This is identical to leading the woman to the cross. The lift is needed to tell the woman to keep her weight on the right foot.  If the woman's frame is too tight (pushing her right hand outward as far and as stiff as she can), she has physically locked her frame so she can't stay on her right foot. Her stiff frame pushes herself onto her left foot. Now on her left foot, the only way she can get in front of the man is with a forward ocho.

Another problem is if the man leads a side step that's too big, forcing the woman to transfer her weight to her left foot.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines