[Tango-L] Why is it the guy who's doing the 'teaching' ?

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Jan 11 14:36:29 EST 2011

Instead of "leading," I'm using "intention." I had a lot of situations during my private lessons where my teacher, as follower, didn't execute what I wanted. He said "I followed what you lead." My only response was "Well, what I lead isn't what I intended." He then explained that I rotated my shoulders the wrong way, pushed him with my arm, or something else. Many times, I'd stop because I didn't get the desired result. Joe said "Why did you stop. You should keep going." That was an important lesson. If the woman dances an unintended figure, I have to adapt, keep going and not let her know something went wrong.

The woman can't teach because she doesn't know the man's intention, only his lead. Instead of stopping on the floor and advertising there was a mistake, he should make a mental note and try to figure it out later.

Now, about professionals teaching dance. Dancing and teaching are two SEPARATE skills. The best dancers aren't necessarily the best teachers.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines

  From: Mario
  Subject: [Tango-L] why is it always the guy who's doing the 'teaching' ?

  Is it something primiordal or perhaps a mating ritual but why is it always the guy on the dance floor who is doing the 'teaching'?