[Tango-L] Movie "Black Swan"

rhink2@netscape.net rhink2 at netscape.net
Tue Jan 11 13:50:38 EST 2011

 Interesting thread.

I too saw the movie.  Although there are multiple themes, the principle
one, indeed, was about discovering ones dark side.

To me that translates to learning to dance tango with spontaneity.
Using the metaphor that dancing tango is akin to scatting jazz,
if one hears "do dah" in the music rather than "dah do" which Ella or
Louis recorded, then scat "do dah".  The point is that one
knows enough about scatting that one is aware of being spontaneous and
"breaking a rule" or at least going against tradition.

Learning to do be spontaneous is not easy.  For me it takes total
concentration on the music and letting the dancing run on auto pilot,
of course, while regarding my partner's skill and the rules of the
road.  For Nina in "The Black Swan", it was her undoing.

R. Hink
San Francisco