[Tango-L] "Maestros de cuarta" "the guy who's doing the teaching "

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Tue Jan 11 13:09:30 EST 2011

While you make good points, and it is a good philosophy to always assume
the male is wrong, it makes me smile when I then go to class where I
have some problem with the lady and the teacher finds fault with me, and
when the teacher tries it out with her, and then proceeds to spend 10-15
min correcting her. How is that possible if it was not her fault? :-) It
takes two to tango, and therefore, the lady can be at fault. But I
agree, not at the Milonga. That is why I have become much more selective
at the Milongas, both in terms of partners and the music I dance to.

Yes, I understand the arguments, and subscribe to them. We should return
to the days where we teach only men, and not ladies. Isn't that how it
used to be?

By the way, at what point is one qualified to become a teacher? Nobody
is really qualified. Those who started 15 years ago are likely more
qualified, although not always, than newcomers. Perhaps one requirement
to be a teacher would be to win the world tango championships or be in
the top three finalists? I am sure that many of the known teachers today
started teaching before they were ready, and grew into it, with the
exclusion of many on this list. I please guilty myself: we started in
Tallahassee with no teachers (and we still have not teachers). However,
there were always some dancers better than others (that is always the
case), and the better dancers helped the others. Over time, this helping
became teaching (long before we were "ready"). As we continued learning,
we refined our teaching methods, and eventually we became better
teachers. I am sure we would be criticized by many, but there are many
who recognize our improved skills.

Finally, good dancers often do not make good teachers, and often good
teachers are not good dancers (due to age or ability), although they
understand and can communicate the principles clearly.

Just my two cents.

        Gordon