[Tango-L] Learning from You Tube

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 00:24:03 EST 2011

Mario is right; there is much to be learned from watching the masters on
YouTube.

But, as others have said, only after learning the basics from a teacher and
after

becoming a competent dancer in the milongas. The fact is that there is sooo much

to learn that it would be impossible to learn it all in classes and private
lessons,

no matter how hard you study or how many teachers you might have.

An example for me was the Ocho Cortado. Yes, I'd learned it and could dance
it pretty well, with no problems. Then I saw a teaching video on YouTube. It
showed other ways to dance this simple figure. For example, with different
entries or in crossed feet or varying the rhythm or little things the man could
do with his feet or repeating it. Sure, I could have learned all this, probably
better, from a teacher but it never came up in classes or lessons. There are
many other examples and, yes, maybe I would have learned these things for
myself, on the dance floor. But how many years would that take?

But care is needed. I've seen more than one guy change from being a competent
social dancer to become a complete idiot by trying to do stupid stuff that he'd
seen

on YouTube.

Just my 2 cents.

Jack