[Tango-L] proportions

sherpal1@aol.com sherpal1 at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 19:14:35 EST 2011

I don't think I have ever seen a DJ in BA dance....It is sort of like a
Salsa musician, say a Congo player or Timbales player...they are
musicians, they learn one expression of the music, that is creating it,
not dancing it.

Similarily, the wonderful DJ's in BA are musical artists in their own
rights...they study it as a scienct and art from from early in their
youth..they know what rhythm of one orchestra will blend favorably with
an upcoming rhythm of the next song in the sequence, so as not to
disrupt the dancers dance style that he comitted himself to when he
danced the first song of the tanda.  DJ'ing is so much more than a
proportional collection of tangos vs, vals, vs milongas songs.  And the
more one dances to the music of fine DJ's the more disruptive it is to
dance to a sort of random collection of unmatched juxtaposed songs.
This is just another cultural naivete and sort of insults the massive
amount of expertise one must acquire in order to be a good DJ.

As for proportions:  I thought the typical dance/song formula for a
milonga was, tango, tango, vals--tango, tango, milonga, so that dancers
can pretty much predict what is coming up next and start lining up the
cabeceo for the next dancer they want to invite.  There is a huge
function of prediction and known anticipation that operates on the BA
dancefloor...things are not so random as they can be extra-culturally.
Sherrie