[Tango-L] Tango and tai chi push hands

Don Klein don at aymta.org
Sat Feb 5 14:19:24 EST 2011

Jim--

As a practitioner/player of both I generally agree, but I find two
essential differences, in tuishou (push hands) the object is to find the
duifang's (partner's) center and uproot him/her-- although many times
the game is played stopping just at that point to make the partner
aware--whereas in tango both partners should always be aware of the
other's center .  And there is the bodily concept that was so
disconcerting when we started dancing more serious tango:
disassociation, where in taijiquan the general principal is that the
torso is like a plank:  the shoulders stay aligned with the hips.

Best to all in both practices,

Don