[Tango-L] Elitism

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 13:59:39 EST 2011

--- On Fri, 2/4/11, Siamak Tazari <siamak.tazari at googlemail.com> wrote:

> it is somewhat depressing and discouraging to follow a lot of
> posts here because they often suggest the idea - from both men
> and women - that only those who have perfected the art already
> and are sitting in the high towers of tango are entitled to
> truly enjoy the dance and "get the good dances and dancers",
> etc... and that it is extremely difficult and takes the equivalent
> of studying for a graduate degree or more to get there.
> I totally disagree with that.

Yup. While it's true that one can continue to discover
new aspects of tango over many years -- tango has depth
and breadth like no other dance -- one can start exploring
pretty soon after beginning. Tango is a long road, but it's
not all uphill, so to speak.

> I have in about 80-90 % of the time really wonderful dances
> and meet wonderful women to dance with all around the world,
> wherever I go. Sometimes I even end up with a really good
> dancer after all and it is still a beautiful experience.
> In fact, most of the women I have met and danced
> with in milongas turned out to be extremely nice and
> friendly people, fully enjoying the dance with me, and
> giving me often positive feedback and encouragement.

You have the generosity of spirit that would make
tango a very different social experience, if it
were adopted more widely. The women (and the men) of
your community are very fortunate to have you there.
I hope that people will to look at you as an example
to follow when they join the community.