[Tango-L] Elitism

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Thu Feb 3 14:28:32 EST 2011

re: Gordon's question: because the better dancers are already dancing
and the newbies are sitting, ready, willing, and "somewhat" able.  NYC
has the benefit of being a major tourist city, so we get many visiting
dancers, who only know the local teachers and DJ's that are in the
festival circuit, and they naturally gravitate to those leaders, or will
wait for them if they are already dancing.  NYC also attracts many
really great leaders and pros,  and the number of such leaders is far
greater than the number of equally talented followers,  so the
competition for the better followers is quite fierce for a non-pro like
me.   I use cabaceo, but in the rare circumstance where I verbally
invite, I often hear, "I am waiting -hoping -xyz will invite me, maybe
later."  I don't teach on the festival circuit, and I'm not a DJ.  I do
not have a "clique."  Nor do I want one.  I define a clique as a group
with a circle the wagon mentality, if any outsider dares approach, all
heads face inward in hushed tones to avoid having to meet the eyes of
the interloper.