[Tango-L] marketing survey

Roger Edgecombe rdeinba at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 07:54:43 EST 2011

Gordon Erlebacher wrote:

What is the difference, in your mind, between a practica and a Milonga?

 I read recently "In theory, there is no difference between theory and
practice. In practice, there is."

To me, in theory, a milonga should be an event where people DANCE.  They do
things (steps/figures/whatever) at which they are competent enough to fit
with the line of dance, They don't dance backwards against the line of
dance; they don't stop to have a practice session when a figure goes
pear-shaped; they don't stop to have a lengthy discussion; they don't spear
radially cross the floor. It is a cooperative environment where there is a
mutual effort to preserve a pleasant fluid dancing environment. Teaching,
whether in the middle of the floor, or even worse, in the outer ronda,
should be inconceivable.

In contrast, a practica is an opportunity to practise. To stop and repeat
and perfect, and if need be discuss.  If you absolutely must 'teach', then
here is your opportunity.

In practice, increasingly, there is barely  a discernible difference.
 Sadly.