[Tango-L] invitation

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 01:55:06 EST 2011

--- On Wed, 2/2/11, sherpal1 at aol.com <sherpal1 at aol.com> wrote:

what i said initially ,which was never met with a rejoinder(an answer to a
reply) was this:  "the man creates a space that invites the woman to
move into, not pushing or shoving, but inviting"  as gavito said," the
lead moves the woman away from the space(position) he wants to occupy."

I hadn't been following the whole Tango Lead/Invite thread because I figured that it was just another "duh" thread where the same things would be rehashed over again.  So I went back and read some of it.  It appears to me that what Sherrie wrote is supported by earlier posts.  My impression was that Sherrie's comment wasn't ignored but that it represented closure, as in "who doesn't know that by now so let's move on."

One issue that did stick out for me concerning that thread, though, was timing.  With a good leader, a woman has plenty of time to make decisions about how to respond to an invitation.  A good leader projects his intention well ahead of the execution.  A follower who is paying attention knows what's coming and has plenty of time to react.  How else could she possibly do ornaments well if this were not true?  The Invite-Accept process is not necessarily simultaneous or occurs within split seconds.  It can take a split second for the woman to recognize the invite, but she has lots of time to decide how to respond.  Another example is when the woman helps the man avoid a collision by, say, refusing to move in a particular direction or taking a smaller step.  That's quite a conscious decision.

Trini de Pittsburgh