[Tango-L] Marketing Survey

rcgimmi@aol.com rcgimmi at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 22:55:53 EST 2011

Here's a bigger survey that was done in the Portland, Oregon area a couple of years ago.  There were, I recall, almost four hundred responses.  It's titled, "Why I Quit Tango":

http://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=jgRE23jZaqJkQXe_2fRgco1GgAZSrPouqVp_2b1F2ZxnZVk_3d

(If the link doesn't work, go to Google and put in the words, Why I Quit Tango and Clay Nelson.  That should get you there.)

"Elitism" was the number one reason people drop out.

That didn't surprise me a bit.

The real "surprise" was that so many people in the tango community were surprised to hear this.  I suspect awareness of the problem and responsibility for the problem are inversely proportional.    And, I suspect that the survey results would be applicable for other communities outside the Pacific Northwest.

Many of the other reasons people quit were related to this big one.

Enjoy.