[Tango-L] invitation to dance

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Wed Feb 2 04:11:29 EST 2011

On 02/02/2011 05:04, sherpal1 at aol.com wrote:
> i notice over and over again, that this list is mainly made of up men
> who communicate only with one another...when a woman responds, she is
> cut off or ignored...

I read you post to the end, just to be sure you don't accuse me of
cutting you off, but I'm not going to ignore you and I'll say you are
overgeneralising.

And even if she (the generic woman) is actually cut off by some
(and ignored by others, as it's hard to be both cut off and ignored
by the same individual), that only concerns a vocal minority
of some of the men around these parts.

My advice would be to simply ignore thugs and say what you have
to say regardless. It's not because one man starts trolling that
others may not be interested in what you have to say; the
best women contributors on the list have developed a thick skin
and I thank them for it (and that includes many women I don't always
agree with but whose opinion I respect).

 > if this is how you dialogue, it must be an indicator of how you
 > dance

In defence of internet trolls, some are actually much nicer in person
than behind a keyboard. It *could* be an indicator of how you dance
and it *could* mean that I don't want to have a beer with you (and
in the absence of more data you go by those imperfect cues),
but "must be" is much too strong.