[Tango-L] The Tango Invitation or simply a lead

sherpal1@aol.com sherpal1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 19:29:37 EST 2011

our bodies react with this split second response system in many
scenarios: just note how fast the fight or flight response system
operates reacting to a menacing situation.  In tango, the invitation is
the notion of a suggestion, of the creating of space, a vacuum, where
the woman, if properly trained, will move or flow into.  I think it is
talked about this way to draw a distinction between inviting versus
pushing, shoving or pulling a woman into a direction.  It is a sort of
stimulus/response  dialogue where ,when two bodies are well-trained,
the illusion is that it is almost simultaneous.  It is also that notion
embraced by Gavito...that the man leads the woman away from the postion
he next wants to occupy.  When first learning tango, as in learning a
foreign language, the movements seem slow and disconnected, but with
time,practice and training, the links and connections appear to create
flow....sherrie