[Tango-L] BA world tango festival

migrom@nyc.rr.com migrom at nyc.rr.com
Sat Aug 27 11:49:37 EDT 2011

I have been enjoying Shahrukh's coverage of the festival, and would like to add one review and one recommendation.

The recommendation is the exhibit of Carlos Gardel's life and his contributions to tango. It is a multi-media event not to be missed.

And now for the review.  What has impressed me most about the events of this festival is the presence, involvement, enthusiasm, and commitment of young people both as spectators and as participants (musicians and dancers). The youth admire the greats who preceded them and who are their heroes.  At the same time that these same young people are scheduled to play in their own smaller venues.

That was the case last night.  I went to el Teatro de la Ribera in La Boca - one of the facilities that the tango festival was using to extend their outreach.  I went to hear a young bandeonista, Lucas Pantarotto, whom I had met at another concert earlier in the week.  On the night we met, he was in the audience to hear the Orquesta de Salgan playing along with Leopoldo Federico, Nestor Marconi, and Julio Panne among other world class bandeonistas.  Lucas' enthusiasm and awe moved me. We spoke and he told me about his own upcoming concert.

Last night Lucas played with the Orquesta de Tango del IUNA (Instituto Universitario Nacional de Arte).  Participants were music students, no one over 30.  The female singer was 16.  Halfway through the concert, Horacio Ferrer, was introduced.  Ferrer is noted for his tango history, his knowledge of the genre, the tango museum that he helped establish upstairs from Cafe Tortoni and, most importantly, was the poet featured in a number of Piazolla's pieces.  Last night he recited/ sang his famous piece "Loco", for which he received a standing ovation.  It was for me one of the unannounced highlights of the festival.

I have enjoyed every minute of this festival.  It is, by far, the best organized of those that I have attended.

--
Migdalia Romero
Author: Tango Lover's Guide to Buenos Aires
Website: www.tangoloversguide.com