[Tango-L] Report No. 5 on the Tango Festival & Mundial Buenos Aires August 2011

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Fri Aug 26 11:49:01 EDT 2011

I wrote:

> If you're referring to Tango orchestras in general in Buenos Aires,
> mostly they do not play in tandas at all ...

Correction--I meant Tango orchestras that play FOR DANCERS AT MILONGAS
in Buenos Aires (in any given week, there will have been many more tango
orchestras/trios/groups that will have performed for
spectators/listeners than for dancers, and of course then there is no
concept of tandas, at least as we Tango dancers think of it). The
corrected final paragraph of my last post should have been:

"If you're referring to Tango orchestras that play for dancers at
milongas in Buenos Aires, mostly they do not play in tandas at all,
except to some extent for the few orchestras that have one or more
social Tango dancers among the musicians (e.g., Sexteto Milonguero and
Orquesta Mariano Bujacich, among others). Generally then, an
announcement of the previous or following tanda takes the place of a
cortina."

Shahrukh