[Tango-L] Report No. 3 on the Tango Festival & Mundial Buenos Aires 2011

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Tue Aug 23 15:08:48 EDT 2011

I was wondering whether to bother with more reports, but with Alberto's
and Keith's further encouragement, here goes ... :-)

My overall highlight: Orquesta Típica Andariega (see last item below).

Yesterday, Monday, was a national holiday, so the events on Sunday went
on later than usual. Monday was also the day to pick up the tickets for
the finals of the Championships early next week (Salon Tango and Stage
Tango). I thought I might brave the crowds this time, but was scared off
by reports that (a) some people were going right after Sunday night's
events ended at about midnight to stand in line ALREADY (for 11 hours
all night long in the cold?!) and (b) that if you weren't willing to get
there before it opened you were not going to get tickets.

In fact, I heard that by the time the doors for ticket distribution
opened (at 11 am), the line was 9 blocks long. But one German girl I met
later on Monday told me that she went at noon (one hour after it opened)
and did get tickets anyway, in the 13th row (not too bad), but only
after having to stand in the line for 3 hours! So I'm not altogether
sorry that I decided to stay at home instead (it will be televised
live). If I had stood in line, I would have chosen the Stage Tango
finals (you could get tickets for just one or the other). If I'm going
to be watching from 13 or however many number of rows away, there might
as well be some acrobatics that I can actually see (and as a side
benefit I know whom to stay away from on the milonga floor)! Besides,
salon dancing for exhibition, especially on such a large scale, seems
like an oxymoron ...

But returning to the events of Sunday and Monday, here is a brief recap
of the ones I went to, and some asides (just for Ilene :-)).

Sun, 6 pm: Supposedly a "Gran Milonga" to open the Mundial part of the
festival, with Orquesta Típica Criolla. Now with a name like that, and
since they were performing for a Milonga, you'd expect golden-age-style
danceable music but no, at least the last 1/2 hour that I attended was
very much "How long can the singer make his breathless pauses between
the equally breathless notes (when they got around to playing them)?" It
would have made even the late great Gavito impatient!

Sun, 7 pm: Not on the official schedule, of course, but I met up with
Migdalia Romero, author of "Tango Lover's Guide to Buenos Aires" for a
brief chat about her book in the café area, and to talk about ideas for
getting it wider circulation. By the way, it's worth a dozen times its
list price of $15--don't make a trip to Buenos Aires without it, even if
you've been before and think you know the Tango scene. (No, she didn't
ask me to make this plug--I had bought my own copy earlier and some of
the resources there were unknown to me as well!) See
www.tangoloversguide.com

Sun, 8 pm: Tango Big Band (D'Coté). Falls into the "this I've got to
see" category. Tango music with a big band sound? Well, since I like
both genres, I went. The core group is a quintet of piano + 4
saxophonists (covering the range of soprano sax to alto sax, best as I
could tell) and the first three numbers they played was just with the
quintet. These were actually surprisingly danceable and their version of
Reliquias Porteñas made me want to get up and dance! Then a
supplementary corps of drum, 4 trombones, and 3 trumpets showed up, and
things got a little more iffy. In short, IMHO, the trombones worked but
the trumpets didn't. Their rendition of Gallo Ciego was admirable in
terms of appreciating the effort that the arranger would have had to
make for this rather large ensemble, but the end result was somewhat
strained. Their last piece, however, sounded very much in the style of
Benny Goodman (it was supposed to be a Tango, but none that I
recognized--the arrangement didn't sound Tango-like either), and was
very good (possibly because it wasn't trying too hard to be a Tango).
But it was fun to listen to, and really just to see how much
out-of-the-box Tango music is happening.

Sun, 9 pm, 10 pm: Two modern orchestras, but they are kind of blurring
together in my mind. One was Orquesta Astillero and the other an unnamed
group. One played more techno tango, I believe, or maybe I have that
impression just because there was some psychedelic video patterns,
vaguely synchronized to the music, being projected behind them. The
other was more enjoyable and played modern-sounding Tangos on
traditional instruments. Sorry, can't remember much more than that about
those.

On Monday, the qualifying rounds of the Mundial started: 30 rounds all
day long, with 6-8 couples per round, each round consisting of 3
golden-age pieces. This was held on the main stage and a large number of
spectators were seated, watching this. Between the announcements,
introduction of the couples, etc., there was basically danceable music
about 50% of the time between 2 pm and 10 pm, and many used the dance
floor area to do just that: dance during what effectively became 30
mixed tandas with longish "cortinas" of the emcee's announcements.

The musical events were therefore all on the smaller adjacent "Horacio
Ferrer" performance area.

Mon, 6 pm: Cardenal Domínguez: Good Tango singer, young guy, performed
with sparse accompaniment, sometimes one guitar, sometimes 2, and a
couple of pieces with a bandoneón and violin as well. Low key, but pleasant.

Mon, 7 pm: Noelia Moncada: Very young Tango singer (early 20s?) but
already well acclaimed. Her voice can range from a husky sound that
sounds almost nightclub-like, to a powerful voice suited for an opera
hall. Very enjoyable--well, except for the photographer loudly clicking
away at least every 5 seconds without exaggeration. I mean really, how
many more still pictures do you need of a singer who already has had
1000s taken? I am going to have to modify my standard complaint about
Tango singers who think it is all about them (though in this case it was
...) to photographers who think it is all about *them*!

Mon, 8:30 pm: Orquesta Típica Andariega: The orchestra comprises three
bandoneons, piano, singer - all young women and all from Europe (except
the singer), but living and working in Argentina for the last few years.
The pianist and orchestra leader is a classically trained (and
excellent) pianist from France, and immersed in Tango for the last few
years. Plus three violins and a bass (all men and apparently all
Argentine). The program lists Sandra Márquez as the singer--she was
absolutely excellent (there is a different singer listed on the website
of the orchestra)--sings with the orchestra as "another instrument"
rather than trying to dominate as do most contemporary Tango singers (to
the detriment of dancers and often to the detriment of the piece). Got
there late for this concert, so just heard the last three numbers, but
that was enough to make it my favourite of these 2 last days. They have
their own milonga (or one named after them, at any rate) at Buenos Ayres
Club (Perú 571) on Sundays from 10 pm onwards and they play there every
week, apparently. Definitely got to check that out.

Shahrukh