[Tango-L] Metropolitan tango versus world tango competition

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Wed Aug 10 13:25:48 EDT 2011

Alberto Gesualdi <clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar> says:
> concerning the comment of Sharukh Merkhant on change of regulations
> for the metropolitan tango , I think it is consistent with the
> the category is " milongueros del mundo en Buenos Aires / world
> milongueros in Buenos Aires" ? > this is the regulation for the world
> festival , that is now going on, maybe is late for registration, but
> next year will be , I hope , the same regulation . Clasification
> rounds ended this past weekend at Sunderland, on august 6th .

There is understandably a lot of confusion surrounding this, for those
not directly involved unless, as in my case, they've decided to take an
interest in the subject or at least read up on it.

There are THREE separate competitions in Buenos Aires that are Alberto
has referred to in his posting:

1. The "Metropolitano," which happened mid-May 2011, which is the local
"Buenos Aires" competition for residents of the city, which this year
was further limited to Argentine citizens (my "Part 1" posting from
yesterday covered the qualifying rules to ONLY this competition).

2. The "Milongueros del Mundo en Buenos Aires," which just ended last
weekend (Aug 7, with winners from Colombia), which was hastily put
together in the last 2 months as a result of the lawsuit surrounding the
enrollment restrictions of the Metropolitano. It was designed to be a
parallel competition to the Metropolitano to include those excluded
there (which, incidentally, it did NOT achieve). "Part 3" of my posting
will cover this one -- it did not even exist nor was it conceived when
the Metropolitano was being held. And notwithstanding the word "Mundo"
(world) in its title, it has nothing to do with the Mundial (World
Championships) which will be held at the end of August, other than
providing a short-cut to the semi-finals of the Mundial for the winners
of either (1) or (2).

3. The "Mundial de Tango," the finals of which will be held Aug 29 and
30 as the climax to the Tango Festival, with qualifying rounds and
semi-finals in the days preceding. This is the only one that required
prior registration and yes, the deadline of Aug 1 has long passed
(unless you can demonstrate force majeure, or hey, just file a lawsuit).

Shahrukh