[Tango-L] Buenos Aires Tango Festival

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Mon Aug 8 10:53:15 EDT 2011

A list member enquires:

> Hi Shahrukh
> I read your report about the international participation in the
> Metropolitan Tango Championships - very interesting remarks about the
> relative judging criteria.
> Just wondering whether you have some local knowledge about the program
> of activities for the annual tango festival in August. I don't seem to
> be able to find any information about it, and I plan to attend some of
> the concerts and other events. If you do, it would be a great favour if
> you could post it on Tango-L. Many thanks!

The final program will apparently not be available till the 10th (it's
not uncommon here for detailed information even on large-scale events to
be published just days earlier). However, here is a partial
(unofficial?) list of highlights from a local arts publication
(Planeando Sobre BUE, available at various theatres around the city).

Aug 16:
	7 pm: Amelita Baltar & Horacio Molina
	8 pm: Opening Milonga & show (María Nieves, Los Reyes del Tango)
Aug 17:
	8 pm: Sandra Mihanovich sings Eladia Blázquez
Aug 18:
	8 pm: Jairo & the Camerata Argentina
Aug 19:
	8 pm: Salgán & his Orchestra
Aug 20:
	6 pm: Colángelo & Baffa. Tribute to Troilo.
	8 pm: Leopoldo Federico & his Orchestra
	10 pm: Orch. El Arranque with Leo Maslíah
Aug 21:
	6 pm: Grand opening milonga of Mundial w/ Orch Típica Criolla
	7 pm: Raúl Lavié & Ultrasound
	8 pm: Dance: Ana María Stekelman (Urquiza)
	8 pm: Tango Big Band w/ D'Coté
Aug 23:
	8 pm: Horacio Ferrer presents "Flor de Tango" & poems (Urquiza)
Aug 24:
	8 pm: Néstor Marconi Quintet (Urquiza)
Aug 25:
	8 pm: Alberto Podestá (Urquiza)
Aug 28:
	4 pm: La Murguera from Uruguay
	6 pm: Grand closing Milonga with Sexteto Milonguero
	7 pm: Francis Andreu from Uruguay
	8 pm: Atilio Stampone Orch w/ Luis Filipelli
Aug 29:
	7 pm: Finals of Mundial: Tango Salón (Luna Park).
	Rubén Rada & his Orquesta Típica del Río de La Plata.
	Juan Carlos Copes.
Aug 30:
	7 pm: Finals of Mundial: Tango Escenario (Luna Park)
	Jairo & guest musicians
	Dance show w/ Ana María Stekelman

Most events are free (though tickets will need to be collected for the
two Mundial finals). The main location is the Exposition Center on Av.
Figueroa Alcorta in Recoleta with two secondary locations in La Boca and
Urquiza.

As you can see, most events enter around the music, with well-known
orchestras and musicians performing for free. Argentines come out in
droves for these and there is a significant "crowd energy."

The main dance events are the two milongas (which I'm guessing will not
be anything like a typical milonga--90% will be spectators and 10%
trying to dance amongst them!) and of course the two finals of the
Mundial which will be the climax of the festival. However, there will be
dozens of free Tango lessons and smaller dance performances and
impromptu dancing throughout the event, as well as films, exhibits,
vendors, etc., etc.

If you want to take a last-minute vacation and are wondering if this is
a good time to be in Buenos Aires, absolutely! Notwithstanding a certain
amount of commercialization, hype, etc., it's the largest Tango event in
the world by any measure. However, note that it is an event for the
general public, as opposed to for the Tango-dancing public, and it needs
to be experienced and appreciated in that context. I.e., you'll have to
create your own "intimate tango moments," but there won't be any
shortage of opportunities for doing so!

Shahrukh