[Tango-L] El tango en la sociedad porteña: 1880 a 1920

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Aug 1 11:32:27 EDT 2011

There is a previous book on this subject,  from Francisco Garcia Jimenez " Tango 1880-1930 .Historia de medio siglo" .He is a well known writer of tango lyrics , cofounder of SADAIC with Francisco Canaro and other people.
Garcia Jimenez, is, in one hand, a witness of a part of this time. On the other hand, and maybe due to the previous reason, lacks the
historic approach and tend to express gossips or side comments, that make the reading a bit unconfortable.
Sebastian Piana, another legend  of tango , made a valuable work, wrote the music of sung tones at Buenos Aires & Montevideo , from 1810 onwards . There is a song from 1867 ,  negro shicoba , that has something new. Tango ?? Maybe ...
Whenever I receive a comment on " here is where the tango begins  !! "  I wonder on how people in  a nutshell, consider themselves kings of infinite spaces...
alberto - buenos aires