[Tango-L] What to do with a carpeted floor?

Ruben Malan rubenmalan at comcast.net
Thu Apr 28 11:17:50 EDT 2011

Re: [Tango-L] What to do with a carpeted floor?

Interesting timely subject!

I just finished "wood-flooring"  a carpeted relatively large dancing area (@
500 SF) in my home. Since the house is only 10 years old, and the carpets
have been preserved "like new," covered by several rugs, I decided to keep
the carpets in case that I may sell or rent the property in the near future.
So, I liked to add something of top since the cushioning of the material
(pad also) will be a positive factor. I have been trying different materials
with different combinations. I also order portable dance flooring samples.
Those did not work well on carpets (even on Berber), they are unstable and
also expensive. In addition the cost of a good portable dance floor is
comparable to a bamboo wood flooring, @ $3,000.00 or more.

The final decision: 16 pieces of 15/32 good quality sanded 4x8 plywood
planks. (The thicker ones are too heavy for me and cost much more). After
paying $24 a piece (I carefully picked the ones which were straight and with
a nice natural design and same color) in HD, I fine sanded them and applied
three hands of polyurethane. The dance floor looks very nice now and it has
been tested with a 4 hours dance party a month ago. Nobody complained and
even there were some tango dancers from this forum who demonstrated a couple
of tangos and gave me the OK to offer regulars milongas. I'm so impressed
with my low cost flooring solution that I'm "mirroring" the walls and
ordering Tango decorations now.
Well, I'm sure that you are asking: and how to keep the planks together?
INSERT COIN PLEASE! OK, I have several working solutions but it will be on
the next chapter under request.

My devaluated dollar contribution (=5 cents)

Ruben