[Tango-L] Teaching tango

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Tue Apr 26 10:14:05 EDT 2011

@Tom
So what planet are you from? Here are  two videos out of thousands showing
classes without music with men and women  separated. I fell sorry for
students that pay good money for substandard  instruction from second-rate
teachers.

Oscar Casas teaching a class  without music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcighNLXUao

Tango Class  with Miriam Larici y Leonardo Barrionuevo No music and notice
the men and women  are on different sides of the  room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9iO5C7viBQ

@  David

> Unless you’re from another planet every one of you have had a  tango
> lesson
> group or private
> First the instructors  will dance the figure their going to teach
> Now the men and women get  split up usually facing each other from
> across
> the room
>  WITHOUT MUSIC the instructors will walk through the figure for both
>  the
> men and the women

In planet Denver, I have never seen this  instructional method, and in
15 years have never used this method. Okay, to  be honest there are a
couple of specific figures that need different  explanations for men
and women, which are easier to manage by separating the  couple for a
moment, but not at the beginning level. In general, tango  requires
intense lead-follow skills so there is no value in separating the
partners.

I have heard this is common in ballroom, but I don't have  direct
experience there.

Tom Stermitz
c:  303-725-5963
http://www.tango.org