[Tango-L] Tango without music?

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon Apr 25 14:44:11 EDT 2011

Almost all beginners can step on the beat, with a little (decent)
instruction. Dancing to the music means movement energy corresponds to
musical energy, which is about the beat plus the phrase.

When a beginner moves WITH the phrase of the music, the movements feel
right, and he has more confidence. When a beginner takes steps that
don't correspond to the phrase, he feels lost and confused. Usually,
he says "I can't hear the beat", but he means he can't feel the phrase
of the music.

So, I'm with Martin, not Huck on this one. Sounds like Huck took a
class with a teacher who doesn't know how to explain musical movement.
A lot of teachers are intuitive about music, but have no idea how to
teach it.

On Apr 25, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Huck Kennedy wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Nussbaum, Martin <mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
> > wrote:
>> Totally disagree with all those who want to isolate tango instruction
>> from the music.  The only reason to dance IS the music.
>
>      While I absolutely agree that music is the only reason to dance,
> learning a movement and practicing aren't dancing.  So overall I
> disagree with Martin, and believe those who say learning technique
> should come separately from trying to apply musicality are correct.
> When trying to master basic movement, musicality can be a distraction.
>       Now having said all that, and at the risk of sounding like I'm
> contradicting myself, I agree with Martin that musicality still needs
> to be introduced from the very beginning, even if it's just practicing
> simple walking expressed musically.
>
> Huck

Tom Stermitz
c: 303-725-5963