[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different

Ruben Malan rubenmalan at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 13:32:47 EDT 2011

Gordon wrote:

"I have found that  to really gain an appreciation for the nuances of the
tango music, it is important to listen to the music "almost" non-stop.
This helps incorporate the various nuances into the body and the
subconscious. Even today, I find it difficult to dance to a piece of
music I have never heard before when the beat is not strong and
predictable. When dancing to tango, one can dance to the beat or melodic
structure, and one can also concentrate on one or the other musical
voices (i.e., instruments or voice)."

To expand a little bit Gordon's wise (2 cents) contribution,
I will add that to dance tango musically and with some originality,
we have not only to constantly listen the music, but analize it with some
musical knowledge.
One of the particularty, challenge, and beauty of AT, is the posibility to
artistically choreograph
almost every musical "nuance" as Gordon said.
We must be aware of even the melodic articulation such us legatos, portatos,
staccatos, and the like.
And what about crescendos, fermatas, and rests?

Good experienced AT dancers may interpret a piece on the spot by improvising
a good coreography
without "preparing" it in advance. However, as an "advance" beguinner,
I personally feel the need, just to dance with a 10-20% satisfaccion, to
prepare a rendicion with the vocabulary that I have,
by rehersing over and over and trying different "moves" for a particular
musical texture.

My half penny contribution. :-)

Ruben