[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 21 10:46:25 EDT 2011

Last Sunday I had a conversation with  Blas Clemente Catrenau he grew up in
Mataderos during the 1940’s and 1950’s. In  the early 1990’s Blas began to
organize Milongas and from 2003 to 2009 he hosted  “La Milonguita” one of
the most successful milongas of Buenos Aires. In 2002  Blas won the
Metropolitan Championship of Tango Salon.
The first question  Blas asked me was “what is the number one most
important thing about dancing  tango”
My brain was racing trying to think of the right answer…uh the woman  the
embrace, deodorant, breath mints? Thankfully he answered his own question
before I had a chance to make a fool of myself. “The Music” first you need to
 learn the music second is “The Heart” you need to feel the music in your
heart  only then can you dance Tango I think deodorant came in third.
Blas was  referring to traditional tango music.

David

Sharon  wrote:

I used to like dancing to non-traditional
music because I could  hear the beat better, but I find that the more I
listen to tango music, the  less I like dancing tango steps to
non-traditional music because it lacks all  the things that makes tango
music beautiful (including surge and  suspension).

This is unfortunately one of the principal reasons that  contributes  to
many dancers resorting to non-tango music for  dancing:  it ts easier to hear
the beat in other music or modern  "electro-pop" tango.  It takes time to
hear the beat and the many nuances  in tango music.  As teachers advise
students to be patient about the  technical requirements of tango, it is also
important to advise that the same  patience is often required to learn to
appreciate the music.  The  subtleties of the dance and music are interconnected.
Taking shortcuts in  one will affect the other  eventually.

Cheers,
Charles
Tango-L  mailing  list
Tango-L at mit.edu